Employee Spotlight: Tyler Ely
At Office Interiors, we provide a variety of office design services to meet all our clients’ renovation needs. Beyond our custom designs, our Vista Technologies department offers a great selection of high-quality Audio-Visual technology to upgrade your business.
To highlight the exceptional quality of service and installation our Vista Technologies’ technicians provide, we sat down with Project Manager Tyler Ely to learn about his experience at Office Interiors.
What drew you to start working with Office Interiors?
I worked for about 10 years as an independent contractor for a small A/V (audio-visual) company near Kalamazoo, Michigan. Just one other guy and myself. When he decided to retire, he offered to sell the business to me.
While weighing my options, I got an email from an OI talent recruiter. Ultimately, I took the position because I was excited to relocate to a newer, more diverse area to work for a multi-faceted company that had different divisions such as furniture designs, flooring, window treatments, and high-quality A/V technology. It felt right.
Today, I am a Project Manager for Office Interiors’ Vista Technologies department, entering my 7th year at the company.
Describe your average day as a Project Manager.
My job responsibilities range from:
- Replying to client inquiries and updating them on their project status.
- Prefabricating equipment in our Vista Technologies shop for installation in the field.
- Receiving and checking products into the warehouse.
- Updating Office Interiors’ Accounting team when products are delivered and installed
- Scheduling work and hosting huddle meetings with field technicians before on-site work begins on each project.
- Maintaining hardware and parts inventory for Vista Technologies.
- Meeting with clients and third-party contractors to go over site requirements for A/V integration.
- Extracting sales and design information to build digital project workspaces for field technicians.
- Going over existing and new projects with our Sales & Design staff.
- Pre- and post-install site walkthroughs for client projects.
When we’re especially busy, I also help install products in the field along with the other Vista Technologies technicians. As a manager, I will often help check the commission systems and troubleshoot problems for client inquiries.
What would you say is the most interesting part about your job?
The most interesting part of my job is Interacting with the cast of various characters and personalities that make up the audio-visual world. Because I enjoy high-fidelity audio systems, I really look forward to any theater, stage, and live venue work. I wish that we did more of it.
What would you say you love most about working with your team at Vista Technologies?
We have a good team full of many truly great people! Around the office, we have a "fun” committee, and they have been known to host some real amazing soirées!
What do you like to do in your free time?
Outside of work, I like to spend time with my wife and two sons. I also enjoy playing music or board games with friends. When I want to relax, I enjoy going on road trips, camping, mushroom hunting, or going to concerts and festivals.
Are there any interesting facts that you’d like to share about yourself?
If I hadn’t taken this path in life, I’d probably have ended up an English teacher. I love old poetry and literature, but I’m also really into gardening, too. Since I come from a musical family—my uncle is a bassoonist in the New York Philharmonic—I feel that music is my ultimate happiness.
We at Office Interiors extend our thanks to you, Tyler, for all the great work you and your team at Vista Technologies do! To learn more about our A/V installation work, visit our Vista Technologies or Projects pages. Looking to start your next renovation project? Contact us today!